There is no question about it: if you want to look great and feel great, learning how to choose the right foods is crucial. Even if weight loss isn’t one of your goals, you still need the right fuel to achieve your maximum fitness.
Nutrition is a very individualized part of fitness training, so we tailor nutrition plans to meet your taste and lifestyle. We will work with you to come up with a program that you can really live with.
Nutrition plays a vital role in your results. This goes for both muscle gain and weight loss. You can lift weights and do all the cardio you want, but you won’t lose weight until you are consistent with nutrition.
- Nutrition and weight training are very scientific and you need to adjust your diet to your activity level to achieve the results you want – for example, you need to eat more on days you workout. We will teach you how much you should be eating and how much of each types of food – protein, carbs, sugar and fat for maximum results.
- Eating more can actually help you lose weight – IF you add the right foods to your diet! Protein breaks down the amino acids, which are the building blocks of muscle tissue. Adding at least two ounces of protein to each meal can help you burn an extra 200 calories a day. If you consume too few calories you’re body goes into starvation mode, causing your body to store fat quicker.
- Not all carbs are created equal. Though all carbs create increases in insulin levels, choosing the wrong carbs can make insulin levels spike – and when that happens, the body converts carbs to sugar and stores it as fat. One ounce of stored carbs (glucose) holds three ounces of water. The best choice is low glycemic carbs which cause only a very small insulin increase so your body has a chance to use them for energy instead of fat.
- Don’t cut out the carbs if you want to add muscle! Insulin is an anabolic hormone – that means it helps build and maintain muscles – so you need to consume carbs after a workout. If you don’t, your body will breakdown muscle to replace your glycogen supply. If your insulin level is too low (which happens on a low carb or no carb diet) your body will burn a lot of muscle along with fat.
- Remember, your muscle is your metabolism and you don’t want to lose it. Getting off a low carb diet can be tricky. Because this kind of diet can leave you with muscle loss and carb depletion, some or all of the weight that you lost can be regained.
- Keep fats in your diet! Fat is important because we need it for lipid soluble vitamins. The correct amount of dietary fat also slows the release of insulin.
- The right supplement in the right amounts are important. Calcium can help you lose weight by revving up your metabolism as long as you take in less than 5000 IU’s of vitamin A each day.
- Eat often. You need to eat 5-6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism running at its peak. Eating every 3 hours keeps your body out of starvation mode. Eating too few calories during the day and making up for it with a big dinner at night trains your body to store fat quicker.
|BASIC INSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR YOUR BODY|
|1. Eat food you love that nourishes you.|
|2. Eat whole real food (Organic)|
|3. Enjoy an abundance of fruits and vegetables (phytonstrients to increase metabolism + antioxitons)|
|4. Eat Breakfast daily|
|5. Fit in More Fiber – 100g of fiber vs 8g fiber slows absorption of sugar and fat ie- Plant food, beans, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables|
|6. Omega 3 fats= increase weightloss + health (wild foods – fish, eggs, omega3)|
|7. Include lean quality protein with every meal – Beans, Nuts, Eggs, Fish, Sardines, Grainfed or organic chicken, beef|
|8. Eat Low glycemic loadmeals, quality of Carbohydrate oatmeal w/ flaxseeds soymilk.|
|9. Include Anti-inflamatory foods, they will help control aging, weightloss and disease. Good sources include fish oil omega3, fruit, wild salmon, almonds, chocolate, wine and garlic.|
|10. Eat detoxifying foods – Brocolli, collards, kale, green tea, watercross, artichoke.|
|11. Drink plenty of clean filtered water – if you are dehydrated 3% you slowdown your metabolism.|
|12. Eat something every 4 hours.|
|13. Finish eating 2-3 hours before bed|
|14. Eliminate high Fructose cornsyrup which blocks metabolism.|
|15. Eliminate hydrogenated trans fat – fake fats.|
|16. Take a multivitamin, mineral and Omega3 fatty acid daily|
|17. Exercise intelligently and regularly.|
|18. Learn deep relaxation through music, Taichi,and guided imagery.|